Cherry Jubilee Acai Bowl
Acai bowls weren’t even on my radar until we went to Maui a few years ago. Since then, acai has spread like wild fire with cafés popping up, more and more grocery stores selling the sorbet and packets, drinks with acai infused in them, and the list goes on.
In Maui, acai bowls in downtown Lahaina were our near daily religious experience. Cool and refreshing in contrast to the warm, humid climate. As the weather warms up here in California, frosty treats are starting to heat up. The lines outside our local ice creamery are growing, and the local acai shop has been filling up. I love their chilled out reggae vibe.
A few weeks ago as the weather started to warm up, I decided to experiment with making my own acai bowls. I like the idea of greens in the bowl, so it’s a bit more of a rounded nutritious meal. With the brightness of the cherries, the creaminess of the peanut butter, and the crunch from the granola, this acai bowl checks all the flavortown boxes.
Put on some island reggae, blend an acai bowl (or 2!), and get transported to a different pace of life.
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla rice or coconut milk*
- 3 strawberries (plus a few extra for topping)
- 2-3 scoops of acai sorbet or 1 packet of acai
- 1/2 cup spinach, packed
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- Toppings: coconut flakes, granola, bee pollen, honey, peanut butter, sliced strawberries and/or bananas
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl for serving, and top with all of your favorite toppings.
*I like the addition of the vanilla flavor here, but feel free to use your favorite alternative milk.