Summer Corn, Tomato & Pesto Linguini
Pasta. One of my favorite foods. The first thing I learned to cook, and my theme for my 5th birthday party. That’s right. Not a princess party. I legitimately wanted a spaghetti party.
Carbs. An excuse to eat cheese – as if you really need one. And savory sauce.
In college, I went a bit pasta crazy. Remember the “Ultimate Arrabiata”? Well, I would make that nearly weekly. Selecting white pasta over whole grain or gluten free everytime. Affordable ingredients that packed a lot of flavor. But, combined with sugary Starbucks lattes (hey, our coffee addiction has to start somewhere), my waistline suffered.
I think it’s important to eat the foods you love, just more in moderation than my college-self knew. Yeah, maybe, you go for it with normal linguini once in a while. Or, weeknight dinner? Opt for gluten free or whole grain noodles.
Here we lighten it up a bit with fresh, seasonal grilled vegetables. Grilled corn and blistered tomatoes. Topped with a green, spinach and basil infused pesto with one of the tastiest nuts on the planet – pistachios. Lemon for brightness, and vegetarian parmesan for salt. If vegan, feel free to skip the cheese. Do you.
Great for a special weekend dinner on a summer night. Shared with friends, or tasty leftovers for work the next day. Place in a jar, and eat cold. Speaking from experience here, you won’t be sad to have cold leftover pasta the next day.
Maybe, you even add a glass of summer’s mascot: Rosé? Serve on a big platter with freshly crumbled feta family style, and this is sure to be a show stopper.
- 1 lb of your favorite linguini
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 heaping cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 oz feta, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 cup vegetarian parmesan (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cook pasta to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, spray or brush corn with coconut oil. Over high heat on a grill pan, grill corn, rotating every few minutes until evenly grilled, about 7-10 minutes. At the same time and on the same grill pan (or in a basket on grill), grill cherry tomatoes until they start to burst; 3-5 minutes.
- Add all pesto ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toss pasta in pesto. Top with corn, blistered tomatoes, and feta. Serve immediately.
*Recipe modified from Green Healthy Cooking.