Grilled Halloumi Burgers with Sweet Potato Chips and Ginger Peach BBQ Sauce
And, yup, that’s right. Another halloumi recipe. I can’t resist the opportunity to take full advantage of the grilling season.
Here grilled halloumi cheese slices take center stage of our burger. Topped with sweet potato chips seasoned with smoky paprika and sea salt.
Then, we step it up with some homemade Ginger Peach BBQ sauce. Love this flavor combination. The natural marriage of sweet meets spicy. Reminds me of one of my favorite The Republic of Tea’s black tea blends.
Bear hugged by my favorite pretzel buns. Vegan (not that the recipe is), soft, doughy burger buns that are great here, or with vegan thousand island dressing, veggie burger patties, pickles, tomatoes, red onion slices, and romaine. These are my go-to for epic burger making. Double bonus, love that this company doesn’t add artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, or sweeteners.
Finished off with red onion, a fried egg, and fresh basil. Definitely makes for an epic Sunday night dinner while you watch one of the most epic shows on TV, GoT.
Although it might be better to eat before watching GoT, since it’s so violent. But it never seems to stop us. Can never decide if I want to root for John Snow or Khaleesi, but I’m still secretly hoping the become a romantic item. Anyway time for burgers, right?
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced lengthwise about 1/8" thick
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Sea Salt
- 1 peach, halved
- 1/4 honey
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 oz halloumi, sliced lengthwise 1/4" thick
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 small handfuls of basil
- 2 fried eggs (optional)
- 2 burger buns
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine olive oil and paprika in a small bowl. Brush each slice of sweet potato with the paprika mixture, and place on a large baking sheet. Making sure not to overlap slices. You may need 2 baking sheets if your sweet potato is bigger, or you can save any that doesn't fit on one baking sheet for another recipe. Bake for 15 minutes, and then flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes. It's ok if a few turn quite brown, because that will just make them crispier.
- While the sweet potatoes bake, grill the peach for 3-5 minutes, until there are grill marks on the flesh. Puree peach (with the skin) in a blender until smooth. Add peach puree and the rest of the BBQ ingredients to a medium sized saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While BBQ sauce simmers and sweet potatoes cook, heat grill pan over high heat. Grill halloumi slices 2-3 minutes per side until you have nice grill marks.
- Layer half of the halloumi, a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce, one fried egg (if using), a few slices of red onion, half of the sweet potato chips, and one handful of basil on each burger bun.
*Inspired by and interpreted from Dolly and Oatmeal.